Private and Commercial Helicopter Pilot Training
Kestrel offers a range of Private and Commercial aeroplane and helicopter pilot training courses.
Scroll down or contact Kestrel for more information
Private Helicopter Pilot’s Licence
To achieve the standard necessary to operate a helicopter in a private capacity.
Privileges & Limitations
The Private Pilot Licence will enable the candidate to fly anywhere in Australia with passengers during daylight hours, in any helicopter for which an endorsement is held. Private pilots may not be remunerated for flying.
Before a PPL can be issued, the candidate must:
- Be a minimum of 17 years old prior to the flight test
- Have passed the Basic Aeronautical Examination (BAK)
- Have passed the CASA PPL (or CPL) exam
- Have flown a minimum 50 hours including a minimum of 16 hours as pilot in command (solo)
- Have passed a PPL flight test
Commercial Helicopter Pilot’s Licence
To achieve the standard necessary to operate a helicopter in a commercial capacity or to gain employment as a professional helicopter pilot.
The Commercial Pilot Licence will enable the candidate to fly anywhere in Australia with passengers during daylight hours, in any helicopter for which an endorsement is held. Commercial pilots may be remunerated for flying, however any commercial activities must be conducted through an organisation that holds an Air Operator’s Certificate.
Before a CPL can be issued the candidate must:
- Hold a Student Pilot’s Licence (see above)
- Be a minimum of 18 years old prior to the flight test
- Hold a class 1 aviation medical
- Have passed the CASA CPL exam
- Have completed a total minimum of 105 hours of an approved flight training syllabus, of which a minimum of 30 hours must be as pilot in command (solo). The last 30 hours must be completed within 90 days or an additional 10 hours must be flown.
- Have passed a CPL flight test
Helicopter Courses for Aeroplane Pilots
Aeroplane pilots can obtain a reduction in hours for helicopter training courses based on the aeroplane qualification they hold and the required licence level.
Table below illustrates minimum hours required:
|Licence Held||Licence Required||Minimum Hours Required||Theory Required|
CASA PPLH exam
CASA PPLH exam
CASA CPLH full exam
CASA CPLH conversion exam
Aviation Medical Information
For information on aviation medical requirements or contact details for your nearest DAME (Designated Aviation Medical Examiner) please visit www.casa.gov.au